HEALING CRISIS: HOW ONE MAY EFFECT YOU AFTER A MASSAGE
Written by: Akhilesh Dev | Posted: September 13, 2019 at 6:19 am | Total Comments: 186
Also known as the “Herxheimer Reaction”, a healing crisis occurs when the body tries to eliminate toxins at a faster rate than they can be disposed of. The more toxic one’s bodily systems are, the more severe the detoxification experience, or healing crisis. This reaction signifies that the bodywork received is working and that your body is going through the process of cleaning itself of impurities, toxins and imbalances. While a healing crisis is temporary, it can occur immediately, within several days or several weeks after a bodywork session. Symptoms usually pass within several days, but can persist for several weeks.
What are the symptoms of a healing crisis?
Below is a list of Herxheimer Reaction symptoms most often experienced after receiving bodywork:
• Dizziness and light-headedness
• Deep sleep or difficulty sleeping with vivid dreams
• Runny nose and/or cough/cold symptoms
• Nausea and vomiting
• Low-grade fever
• Joint and muscle aches
• An odd or metallic taste in the mouth
• Muscle cramps
• Skin eruptions
• Intense emotional states
• Increased sweating, urination or defecation
How do you prevent or minimize its course?
The best strategy to prevent or minimize a healing crisis is to support and facilitate the body’s toxin removal and encourage emotional health:
• Hydration – Drinking extra water immediately following and sequentially after bodywork to aid the body in toxic elimination through urination and perspiration.
• Fiber – Increasing dietary fiber will support the gastrointestinal system’s swift removal of waste via the bowels.
• Sleep – Feelings of fatigue or sleepiness are best honored. Listening to one’s body by getting the rest it asks for will help the body in its recovery process.
• It’s okay – Confirmation that an emotional release is not only okay, but it will amplify the effectiveness of the session. This can be prefaced by stating that when an emotion surfaces, the body is saying it’s time to let it go.